Journey in Optimization of our Elementor Site

Journey in Optimization of our Elementor Site

This post is to document the journey of (hopefully!) optimizing the loading speed of our Elementor site, which site… this site, yes eatbuildplay.com. Which after being “designed and developed” in a bit of a haste, really had no optimization factors considered not even basics on the server like compression.

We’ll be using GTMetrix to handle the reporting, though we’ll likely look at Google Pagespeed and Pingdom later, for this process we want to stick with 1 tool to enable comparison and avoid confusion when testing. So here is the sad story of the initial report:

F is for FAST right?

The very first item that was listed as a major mistake was “No Compression”. And that’s a server thing, so as a developer I’m not fully sure how to activate that on our servers. We host the site on AWS Lightsail. Normally I’d ask Dragomir our server tech to set that up but he wasn’t available so I tried Google with the search:

  • aws lightsail how to enable compression

Hope I’m not giving away any trade secrets here… yes we are just Googlers really, we know nothing about anything we just look at stuff, search stuff… in hopes of copy/pasting the right stuff. Pay me!!

After looking over the options for a bit I’ve decided to go with CloudFront CDN and a Load Balancer. I feel somewhat “sold” on these solutions but also hesitant because the Load Balancer cost me $18 a month and I’m not sure what CloudFront will be, but I had hoped I could just “turn on compression” and found all the roads seemed to point to CloudFront.

The process of setup for CloudFront led me down a rabbit hole that burned a couple of hours. My only reward was watching this fucking spinning bullshit as it tries to validate the CNAME record I added to activate CloudFront which for some reason isn’t working. #frustrating

Do CNAME records take time to propagate? Maybe so, because for some reason this connection isn’t working which means no CloudFront, no compression, fucking hell.

Finally got CloudFront setup, whoooooo! I think that deserves a whooo or a hell yeah, it got neither from me though because no time to celebrate this is just a milestone and it hasn’t yet made any difference whatsoever. I think there is an error in the configuration of the “Alias Domain”.

Meanwhile during the CloudFront deployment which took quite awhile, I installed WP Fastest Cache in an effort to do some minimizing and caching.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

admin

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

admin